UD3-71 — perfect flaw detector for testing in hard-to-reach places.
To provide the quality of manufactured products, the testing of equipment technical state and the extension of its lifetime, manual ultrasonic testing, along with other NDT techniques, became the most wide-spread. The thickness of base metal of equipment elements, the quality of welded joints and heat-affected zone, the evaluation of corrosion dynamics and wear of industrial constructions elements are the most important parameters which determine the technical state of and possibility of further operation.
When inspecting various objects, there is often a need to carry out testing in hard-to-reach places, at height, inside boilers, in field conditions (non-laboratory environment). It results from the above mentioned that a light and compact flaw detector is necessary for solving these tasks. Besides, by its functionability it excels other modern general-purpose flaw detectors.
For more than three years “Promprilad” LLC has been producing UD3-71 small-sized universal flaw detector. The experience of flaw detector application at various enterprises in CIS countries and Russia, accumulated remarks and wishes of customers, new tendencies and world requirements for modern NDT tools became the prerequisite for UD3-71 flaw detector modernization.
A new updated UD3-71 flaw detector of the third generation makes it possible to solve a wider range of tasks while performing NDT in hard-to-reach places owing to its small weight, dimensions and functions. Flaw detector enables to carry out ultrasonic inspection of products for the defects presence taking into account up-to-date requirements for ultrasonic NDT techniques.
[expand title=”APPLICATIONS” tag=”h6″ trigclass=”bazinga”]
UD3-71 flaw detector is an ultrasonic general-purpose flaw detector which is intended for:
• manual non-destructive testing of products for detection of defects such as discontinuity and inhomogeneity of material in raw stock, finished items, in-process goods, welded, soldered, bolt, riveted and other joints;
• measurement of defects depth and depth coordinates;
• measurement of various items thickness at one-way access to them;
• measurement of signals (reflected from defects) amplitudes ratio;
• measurement of equivalent defects dimensions;
• assessment of sound velocity in sundry materials.
Flaw detector is able to test materials and products with sound velocity from 1500 m/s to 12 000 m/s.
UD3-71 ultrasonic flaw detector provides the testing of weld joints and base materials, and also thickness measurement of monometals, bimetals in correspondence with the regulatory documents requirements in various industrial sectors.
[expand title=”CHARACTERISTICS” tag=”h6″ trigclass=”bazinga”]
Min. instrument dimensions – no more than 200х100х110 mm – assure high instrument ergonomics and operation simplicity.
• Various A-scan display forms: RF/full wave/+half wave/-half wave;
• Dynamic change of generating path characteristics depending on the switched-on frequency filters;
• Information display forms: А-scan, B-scan, orthogonal views, corrosion map;
• USB slave;
• Flaw detector can be operated at the ambient temperature from minus 10 to +45 °С;
• Flaw detector case protection level from solid bodies and water penetration corresponds to IР65;
• Flaw detector is also resistant to ionizing radiation impact and is meant for operation in increased humidity conditions;
• easily removable storage battery;
• equipped with protective cover:
• device complies with European Standard 61326:2005(First edition).
• Availability of two independent measurement gates with the defects alarm system (sound and light) by each gate. At the same time, every gate has:
• Three going-off levels: “ACCEPTANCE”; “REGISTRATION”; “SEARCH” are marked on flaw detector screen in “RED”, “BLUE” and “GREEN” color. The colors of light ALARM by every gate correspond to them. Application of three-level gates makes it possible to estimate the risk of detected defects;
• the sound alarm going-off level is set up by an operator by a specific gate;F
• the mode (when the preset level is transcended or not) is set up by an operator for every gate independently.
When using three-level gates it is possible to register echo-signals at different levels relative to the acceptance level. It will permit to record echo-signals from developing defects and monitor defects in the program of testing results viewing what is necessary for carrying out ultrasonic testing (UST) of important objects. Three-level gates as well as convenient sound and light defect alarm system allow to assess the detected discontinuity dimensions quickly and qualitatively.
[expand title=”OPERATIONAL MODES” tag=”h6″ trigclass=”bazinga”]
Time control gain (TCG) mode
TCG level is set up in the point grid connected by linear sections, i.e. it is possible to set sundry TCG curve forms – piecewise-linear, step etc. TCG level corresponds to the signal attenuation in the given point relative to the set gain value. This option allows to test long-length items and items made from materials with great attenuation, it is also used for sensitivity setup when testing weld joints with wall thickness of more than 12 mm.
DAC amplitude curves mode
DAC mode is an alternative to TCG mode and enables to plot the curve which connects points (corresponding to signals peaks) on the screen. DAC mode also allows quick and convenient TCG curve plotting.
“REFLECTIONS MARKING” mode
This mode helps to imagine the detected defect location in the testing item in the same direction as ultrasonic beams (straight and multiple-reflected beam).
“Peak” mode is indispensable during small defects search, operation in unstable acoustic coupling conditions. Upon that, the current signal value is displayed on the screen concurrently with the max. signal envelope of all observable echo-signals (displayed in red color). This mode is applied for max. echo-signal amplitude determination and conditional length estimation. It can be used for testing results registration both for rejected and in-order items, what will confirm the presence or absence of defects throughout the whole scanning perimeter.
Thus, “Peak” mode application increases results reliability and reduces testing time.
Measurement of equivalent defects dimensions (DGS diagrams)
UD3-71 flaw detector distinctive feature is the measurement of equivalent defects dimensions.
Using DGS diagrams UD3-71 flaw detector enables to measure equivalent defects dimensions in the range from 1 to 20,0 mm (equivalent defect diameter) with relevant error which does not exceed 15 %.
Availability of the algorithm (built in flaw detector software) of automatic plotting of DGS diagrams for various probes types makes it possible to analyze the received data quickly and qualitatively and determine equivalent dimensions of the detected discontinuities with their further registration. To save the time which is used for the instruments setup, UD3-71 instrument software contains the function of automatic TCG curve plotting by DGS diagram plotted for a specific probe.
RF signal display
To measure precisely the item thickness and defects coordinates, the undetected RF (radio frequency) signal is used what enables to assure the measurement resolution of 0,01 mm. Two modes of the point selection on the signal oscillogram by which the measurements are taken (automatic and manual) are provided in the instrument.
Special program interface mode
This mode is applied for solving special-purpose tasks. For example, when testing various single-type parts or when the part has many testing area. For solving this task “Special program interface” system is used in UD3-71. The necessary standard setups and program interface of “Special program interface” enter flaw detector from PC. The input setups are protected from illegal change by NDT inspector (operator).
[expand title=”SOFTWARE AND REPORTS” tag=”h6″ trigclass=”bazinga”]
Ultra UDх-7х – the program intended for processing testing results of UD3-71 ultrasonic flaw detector and serves for functionality extension and increase of instrument operation comfort. The present program assures operation with the data stored on PC
Memory elements operation enables to perform the following functions:
View: setups, А-Scans and B-Scans Creation and editing: Setups
Report printing: A-Scans and B-Scans